What type of coverage do you need?

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of our frequently asked questions.  If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us via the web, or come and visit us at a location near you.

  1. What is a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) report and why did my insurance company request one?
  2. What is C.L.U.E.?
  3. What is a USDOT Number?
  4. Do I Need a USDOT Number?
  5. What is Operating Authority (MC number)
  6. Who Does Not Need Authority (MC Number) ?
  7. What is the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) ?
  8. Who needs to apply for an IFTA License?
  9. What Are Loss Runs?
  10. What Information Is Included in Loss Runs?
  11. What is Certificate of Liability Insurance?
  12. Why would I need a certificate of liability insurance?
  13. Additionally insured?
What is a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) report and why did my insurance company request one?

A Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) is a report of your driving history, as reported from your state Department of Motor Vehicles. Information on this report may include Drivers License information, point history, violations, convictions, and license status on your driving record. Some states include other information, such as Name, Date of Birth, Height, and Weight.

Most states report driving records for the past three years, although some states may report five or more years of history.

Some insurance companies consider the information in MVR reports, along with other factors, when determining insurance eligibility and insurance premiums.

Back to Top

What is C.L.U.E.?
C.L.U.E., the Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange, is a loss history information exchange developed by LexisNexis Risk Solutions. It enables insurance companies to access and use prior loss information in the underwriting process. Each month, participating insurers submit loss information to the C.L.U.E. information exchange, which is loaded to the C.L.U.E. database. Subsequently, insurance companies request this data by forwarding search criteria such as an insurance applicant's name, address, date of birth, and social security number. The C.L.U.E. system searches its database for information that matches the requested search criteria. A C.L.U.E. report is then generated and forwarded to the insurer. When you or your insurance company receive a C.L.U.E. report, it includes all losses found by matching the search criteria to loss information reported to us within the past seven years from the date of the request.

Back to Top

What is a USDOT Number?

A USDOT number is an identifier that is unique to your company. It allows quick access to your company’s safety information. This information is gathered during accident investigations, inspections, audits and compliance reviews.

Commercial vehicles used by your company to transport passengers or haul cargo in interstate commerce, must have the company’s USDOT number displayed on every commercial company vehicle. Companies that transport hazardous materials within the state in amounts that require safety permits must also display the company’s USDOT number on the vehicles used for transport.

Back to Top

Do I Need a USDOT Number?

These guidelines will help you determine if your company needs a USDOT number. You need a USDOT number if your vehicle is involved in interstate commerce (trade or transportation in the United States) and also meets one or more of the following qualifications:

  • Your vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more. The measurement includes gross vehicle weight rating, gross combination weight rating, gross vehicle weight, or gross combination weight, whichever is greatest.
  • Your vehicle is designed to carry 8 passengers for payment (this number includes the driver).
  • Your vehicle is used to carry more than 15 passengers (including the driver), but is not used to carry passengers for payment.
  • Your vehicle is used to transport materials deemed by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous, and in a quantity that requires a safety permit.

Back to Top

What is Operating Authority (MC number)

An MC Number stands for a Motor Carrier number. It is a number that allows carriers to cross State lines and it also allows the government to track freight brokers through their system. The docket number is assigned to motor carriers engaging in interstate or foreign operations. It consists of the prefix and the numbers that are issued sequentially as carriers are registered in the system.

The docket number is found in the Licensing and Insurance (L&I) database of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Most numbers are prefixed by “MC”, which stands for ‘motor carrier.’ Other prefixes are “MX” for a motor carrier that is owned or controlled by a citizen of Mexico or a person domiciled in Mexico, and “FF”, for a freight forwarder.

Back to Top

Who Does Not Need Authority (MC Number) ?

All of this also dictates the level of insurance/financial responsibilities a company must maintain. Carriers not required to have operating authority include:

  • Private carriers (carriers that transport their own cargo)
  • “For-hire" carriers that exclusively haul exempt commodities (cargo that is not federally regulated)
  • Carriers that operate exclusively within a federally designated "commercial zone" that is exempt from interstate authority rules. A commercial zone is, for example, a geographic territory that includes multiple states bordering on a major metropolitan city, such as Virginia/Maryland/Washington, DC

Back to Top

What is the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) ?
International Fuel Tax Agreement is an agreement between jurisdictions in the U.S. and Canada to collect fuel use taxes.  IFTA jurisdictions include 48 states and 10 Canadian provinces.

Back to Top

Who needs to apply for an IFTA License?

You need an IFTA license if you

  • Operate your commercial vehicles in more than one jurisdiction
  • Have 2 axles and a GVW of more than 26,000 pounds
  • Have 3 or more axles regardless of weight

How to apply:

To apply for your IFTA license and get your IFTA stickers you must fill out an application from your home state/province.  Your IFTA stickers will come in the mail after your IFTA application has been processed.  While you are waiting for your IFTA stickers you can have a temporary IFTA license faxed to you that you can carry in your truck until they come.

Back to Top

What Are Loss Runs?

Loss runs are essentially a Report of your insurance claim history throughout the duration of your policy. Insurance companies keep track of them so they can see at a glance how many claims each of their clients has made and how each of those claims has turned out.

Often, when business owners apply for new insurance, their agent will ask for loss runs on their existing or former policies. Viewing loss runs is, for the insurance industry, similar to the banking industry’s practice of viewing the credit report of a potential borrower: by seeing your insurance past, insurers can get an idea of what kind of insurance risk you will be in the future.

Back to Top

What Information Is Included in Loss Runs?

A typical loss run details the ways you’ve used your insurance coverage since initiating your policy, including information such as…

  • Your name.
  • The dates of any losses you claim, and dates on which you submitted any claims.
  • Details about the loss incident (e.g., a fire that damaged your office).
  • The total amount of benefits paid to you to date.
  • The amount of reserve funds set aside for your account.
  • The status of your claim: open or closed.

Back to Top

What is Certificate of Liability Insurance?
A certificate of liability insurance is a single Formr that summarizes the benefits of an insured party's insurance policy. In short, it is proof of your insurance coverage and limit of your policy. Part of its value is that it contains extensive details about an insurance policy on a single sheet of paper. Typically, the certificate includes the insured party's name, the insurance company's name, policy numbers and types, insurance limits, effective dates, expiration dates, coverage specifics, and insurance limits.

Back to Top

Why would I need a certificate of liability insurance?
If a client asks for proof of insurance before agreeing to sign a contract with your company, you would need to show your certificate of liability insurance. Because it contains all of the important details of the insurance policy on one sheet of paper, it is much easier to share with clients than an entire policy.

Back to Top

Additionally insured?
An additional insured is a person or organization that enjoys the benefits of being insured under an insurance policy, in addition to whoever originally purchased the insurance policy. 

Back to Top

Our Customer Feedback

Our latest blogs

  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Guard Insurance Orlando
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Carrier
  • Liberty Mutual Insurance Orlando
  • Nationwide Insurance in Orlando
Quick Help Links
Garzor Insurance App IOS         Garzor Insurance App Android


© Copyright. All rights reserved. Powered by Insurance Website Builder