Orlando, Fla.—In an era when a career change does not surprise anyone, it is good to know if you have a well-rounded knowledge of how to fix things, starting a business as a handyman can provide you with a great business opportunity.
A few steps may get you started really quickly, when compared to other types of businesses.
- Take your job and business seriously so you can own the market.
- Be aware of license and permit laws in your city.
- Create a company name, your business registration, and insurance.
- Find the right talent that you can either learn from or work with.
- Choose your niche market to focus your services and establish your client base.
- Create a business plan.
- A clear pricing strategy may help you generate credibility, and confidence from your customers.
- Create a customer service strategy that makes you distinctive.
- Create a marketing campaign that includes referrals and “word-of-mouth.”
Although you need to be in good physical condition, and licensing requirements in some areas can be challenging because you must meet certain criteria, there are plenty of benefits to it.
Some of the benefits include:
- Low startup costs if you already have the tools and equipment needed.
- If you work more, you earn more.
- You could become a specialist if you choose to do so. For example, working with real estate agents only, or on home remodels or focus on commercial and/or residential services.
- There are franchise opportunities available.
- There is always a need for this kind of services, especially during difficult times.
- You could generate cash flow almost immediately.
Low initial investment, quick cash flow, and low overhead are all signs that point to low risk. But there are risks. For example, your LLC will most likely not protect you if:
- You personally injure someone
- You personally guarantee a business loan or debt
- You don’t manage your business taxes correctly
- You have acted in an irresponsible or illegal manner
- Rather than treating your company as a separate business entity, you mix business and personal accounts or expenses.
As a business owner, you can be held responsible for things you do while performing work for your limited liability company as a handyman business.
Professional liability insurance protects individuals and companies from assuming the full cost of defending a lawsuit that claims negligence of the individual or business. A claim of negligence, malpractice or misrepresentation is not covered under a general liability insurance policy, which makes professional liability insurance crucial for those who provide a service or advice for a fee. Depending on the profession, professional liability insurance may take on different forms and names, like malpractice and E&O insurance.
At Garzor Insurance we specialize in commercial insurance coverage for businesses in Florida as well as Georgia, and Texas. If you have questions about business insurance, or any other commercial insurance aspects, do not hesitate to visit us online at Garzor Insurance, or you may also call us directly at (321) 206-8035.
Mariana Zorrilla, CIC, CRIS, CPIA
View Mariana Zorrilla, CIC, CRIS, CPIA's Profile
Main Office - Orlando, Fl
Office Number: (321) 206-8035 Ext. 407